Teaching Calgary to Sword Fight
Sword Academy is dedicated to the practice and revival of Western Martial Arts in Western Canada, with focus on Calgary and Alberta. Through the teaching of accurate technique with an strong athletic focus, in combination with the continual study of surviving manuals and the help of public demonstrations, we hope to raise awareness and popularity of the Western Martial tradition.
Are you curious about Western Martial Arts? Have you ever wondered what real sword-fighting
is like? Here is your chance to find out! Sword Academy is now offering beginner courses for
Youths and Adults.
These introductory courses provide students with a taste of Western Martial Arts and are the
perfect starting point for anyone interested in learning more (and mandatory if you would like to join).
Courses cover Medieval Long Sword and Renaissance Rapier and run every two months, so check out our Classes
section for course schedules and pricing information. Class sizes are limited, so register early
and guarantee yourself a spot.
Get ready for a one-of-a-kind experience, this summer and fall with Sword Academy!
Introduction to Medieval Longsword 08.Jun.2013 - one session @ south (Sat)
Introduction to Renaissance Quarterstaff 09.Jun.2013 - one session @ south (Sat)
Introduction to Medieval Sword and Buckler 15.Jun.2013 - one session @ south (Sun)
Introduction to Medieval Longsword 22.Jun.2013 - one session @ south (Sat)
Introduction to Renaissance Rapier 23.Jun.2013 - one session @ south (Sun)
Antique Weapons, Replicas and Wooden Weapons for Sale
Buy and Sell section features authentic antique weapons, replica weapons, practice steel and aluminum weapons and wooden weapons. Check it out.
What we do
We teach the extremely rich, yet largely forgotten, European martial tradition; ranging from the early Dark Ages through the Medieval period and into the late Renaissance. We focus on martially accurate combat using the weapons and techniques described in surviving historical manuals. Instruction and training at Sword Academy focuses on sword combat, but also covers many of the other weapons and fighting techniques of historical Europe, including unarmed combat. Most of these are covered in greater detail on this web site, along with photos and video clips.
Sword Academy's emphasis is on the physical application of Western Martial Arts rather than on translating or publishing manuals and interpretations.
What we offer
- Martial classes for adults and children (no equipment or experience necessary) see Classes
- New classes available within Calgary for groups of 10 or more (location and schedule negotiable)
- Highly personalized individual lessons available (ability to choose an era or weapon)
- Local and out-of-town seminars for groups of 10 or more
- Lectures on the history, martial arts and weapons of Europe
- Fight choreography and stage combat lessons (movie or theatre)
- First class demonstrations for all occasions (medieval feasts, parties, etc.)
- One-of-a-kind safe sparring (ideal for birthday, bachelor parties or corporate occasions)
- Employee appreciation day corporate events
- Highly configurable events suited for different situations (corporate / private, fun / educational etc.)
- Promotianl events for various occasions - movie and theater opening nights
Where we are
We hold classes year round in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. During the summer practices are held outdoors. In the winter and in poor weather Sword Academy moves indoors. For information on class location and times check out our Classes section.
Achievement through hard work.
At Sword Academy we strive to offer the best - most historically accurate - training possible, but ultimately your improvement is in your own hands. What you get out of our classes is directly related to what you put in.
Sword Academy Operates year-round in Calgary
Sword Academy is holding members classes year-round in different locations.
More info on the Members Classes page.